Search results to follow...

Drechned Lambs go out of B'ham Senior

FT: Tamworth 0    1 Studley

11 October 2005

Birmingham Senior Cup 2nd Round

Tamworth crashed out of the Birmingham Senior Cup at the first attempt against lower league opposition on a rain soaked Tuesday night with a virtually full first team out against Alliance Premier Division Studley and despite dominating for most of the game failed to threaten effectively in the last third.
It took until the 15th minute for a clear cut chance and even then James Francis slid agonisingly close to Graham Ward’s right wing cross but the ball skipped past his outstretched boot.
Francis continued to look dangerous and Kyle Storer saw a shot deflected wide on 21 minutes but still Tamworth failed to hit the target.
It took a fantastic one handed save by Mark Gayle to deny Andrew Johnson’s header on 24 minutes in Studley’s first real attack but the resulting corner was wasted.
Mark Cooper struck a well worked free kick against the right hand upright on 26 with the ‘keeper well beaten and from a move just seconds later Julian Alsop put a diving header wide of the other.
Disaster struck for the Lambs on 37 minutes when Mark Gayle parried a cross-come-shot from Shane Benjamin into the path of Andrew Johnson and the Studley striker finished from 6 yards to give the visitors the lead. (0-1)
Just before the break Tamworth forced a corner and Julian Alsop saw his header stopped on the line and as the ball broke free James Francis put the ball over the bar from 2 yards out.

HT: 0-1

With the loss of Matt Redmile (for Bampton) shortly before the break, Tamworth changed their formation after the restart from a 3-5-2 to 4-4-2 and brought on Tris Whitman for James Francis and despite some good movement could not muster an effort on target until the 64th minute when Whitman struck well but his shot was blocked by the visiting defence and from the resulting corner Mark Cooper headed wide.
Kyle Storer ran onto a good through ball shortly after the introduction of ex-Villa trialist Michael Touhy but chipped his shot over the bar from a tight angle.
Storer forced another corner on 69 minutes but the ball was long and fell to Stamps who won a free kick on the opposite side. Cooper’s freekick was put behind for another Lambs corner and although Tris Whitman finished the near post flick on from close range the goal was ruled out for offside.
A great run down the right and into the box by Graham Ward allowed Storer a shooting chance minutes later but he scuffed his shot wide of the far post.
Graham Ward continued to impress in a more attacking midfield role and was unlucky to shoot over from 20 yards with 15 to go as Tamworth pressed for an equaliser.
Yet more Lambs pressure failed to find a away through as the rain persisted and made it harder for both sides to control the ball but as time ran out it looked increasingly unlikely that either side would hut the back of the net.
Scott Stamps connected with a long deep Whitman cross, with two to go, at the far post but sent the ball high and wide and Whitman curled a shot over the bar with seconds remaining.

Gayle, Smith, Redmile (Bampton 42), Ward, Alsop, Storer, Stamps, Cooper, Francis (Whitman 53), Turner (Touhy 65 – trialist from Aston Villa), Green (trialist from Stourport)
Unused: McAuley, Munday

Att: 201

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures