Search results to follow...

Heggs and Williams strikes mean Lambs win again

FT: Tamworth 2    0 Stevenage Borough

28 January 2006

Mark Gayle came into the starting eleven for The Lambs game against Stevenage following the devastating injury to Scott Bevan at Forest Green on Tuesday night.
Dave Bampton also returned after suspension, in for Steve Melton as Mark Cooper’s squad kept the winning feeling against Graham Westley’s promotion hopefuls – It was the Lambs first win at home in the league since Oct 15 against Gravesend and Northfleet.

Early action at the wrong end for the Lambs saw Adie Smith stop Jon Nurse bursting through on Gayle’s goal and Boro’ forced the first corner of the game on 9 minutes but Nathan Jackson cleared well to kill the threat.
Jon Nurse fired wide of the far post from a tight angle on 10 minutes after a good ball out of midfield from George Boyd.
A second corner for the home side came on 13 after Matt Redmiles’s headed clearance but once again Tamworth held strong.
Jackson received a strange booking on 22, after Danny Davidson had tussled with Justin Gregory much to the bemusement of the home faithful.
A long ball into the Lambs area saw Nurse race onto the chance but Gayle was equal to his burst forward and blocked at his feet.
With chances in front of goal at a premium, the battle ensued in midfield as both sides battled to create an opening.
On 32, Graham Ward let fly from 30 yards, but his long range drive rose harmlessly over Alan Julian’s bar.
A free header from Louis Jefferson hit the bar after a floated ball into the area from Gregory on the left of the area on the stroke of half time in the closest chance of the first half.

HT 0-0

Jefferson put a header wide of the target on 50 minutes from Gregory’s centre but the ball was long and there was little danger to Gayle’s goal.
Stevenage went down to 9 men, if only temporarily on 55 following a clash of heads between Barry Laker and Rob Quinn which forced a Boro’ substitution and an ambulance for Laker.
Jackson made a forceful run into the visiting area and forced a save from Julian at his near post and Tamworth’s first corner of the game.
And The Lamb erupted when they took the lead from the flag kick on 62 with Carl Heggs swivelling and firing home from close range after Folkes’ header. (1-0)
Matthew Williams bore down on Julian just seconds later but a last ditch challenge denied him a shooting chance.
After picking up a booking for trying to take a freekick too quickly following a foul on Ward, Williams added another to his tally (3rd goal in 3 games) from the retake with a dipping strike that gave Julian no chance from 20 yards. (2-0) (73 mins)
Quinn flashed a header wide from a corner on 81 in a bid to get back into the tie by the visiting side, and Boro’ forced another corner on 82 which Adie Smith cleared off the line with a diving header.
Although a tame effort, Gayle made his first real save of the afternoon from sub Darren Stamp’s header on 85.

Williams, Davidson
Heggs (Neilson 74), Ward, Bampton, Jackson
Tuohy, Folkes, Redmile, Smith,

Subs: Melton, Cooper, Rickards, Turner


Jefferson (Williams 80), Nurse
Boyd, Quinn, Miller, Bullman
Gregory, Oliver, Laker (Stamp 59), Warner (Obinna 82)

Subs: Gore, Perpetunini

Yellow Cards: Jackson 22, Williams 72, Davidson 81
Red Cards: none

Goals: Heggs, 62, Williams 73

Att: 1228

MOM: As voted for by match sponsors Madewell Products – Adie Smith
50/50: winning ticket no. 2700

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures