Search results to follow...

Third 1-1 draw in a row for Lambs!

FT: Burton Albion 1    1 Tamworth

02 January 2006

Mark Cooper’s Lambs first game of 2006 saw them take the field at Burton Albion’s new Pirelli stadium for the first time and it was also the halfway mark in a very frustrating league campaign to date. With players playing for their places against Stoke City on Saturday Cooper made just one change to the side that disappointed him so much against Altrincham.

Darren Stride had the first effort on goal with just 90 seconds on the clock. A Burton corner came back out to Andy Ducros and Stride placed his header well, but directly into the arms of Scott Bevan.
But Tamworth responded immediately and forced a corner which Steve Melton whipped in for Jake Edwards to head home with the home defence nowhere in sight. (1-0, 3 mins). And had Scott Rickards gambled and thrown himself at Edwards quick centre from the right hand side it may well have been 2-0 to The Lambs with just 7 minutes gone.

Both sides battled their way through each others midfields as the half wore on with Burton perhaps having the slight edge in terms of possession in their opponents half and no clear cut chances were created as both defences did just enough to clear any danger.

Andy Todd had the best chance on 34 minutes when Touhy allowed himself to be rounded in the area but the high ball was headed over the bar by Andy Todd from a few yards out.
Graham Ward forced an easy save from Saul Deeney on 35 from 20 yards and the Tamworth defence had to be on their guard with 5 first half minutes left when Stride received the ball from a corner but struck his volley straight at Bevan.
Another Brewers corner fell to Andy Todd less than a minute later but as he struck the ball high over the cross bar the flag was raised for offside to save his blushes.
Stride then headed onto the outside of the right hand upright on 44 from close range from Gilroy’s left wing cross and Jimmy Turner struck and easy chance at Deeney in stoppage time and it was the visiting Lambs who held the cards at half time.

Scott Rickards came close to giving the Lambs a 2-0 lead with just 30 seconds of the second half on the clock but couldn’t quite lift it enough to clear Deeney and Edwards struck a shot from the edge of the area on 47 which Deeney tipped wide.

Burton were not to be outdone though and Gary Rowett had a clear shot deflected over for a corner a minute later. Rickards perhaps could have done better on 52 but struck his shot straight at Deeney from the edge of the area with the outside of his right boot.
The homeside won a free kick 25 yards out on the right of the area but Ducros’ strike deflected wide for a corner and from the flag kick Jon Shaw headed through the Lambs defence to level the scores (1-1, 57 mins)
After some good build up play by the Lambs which resulted in a freekick on the left Adie Smith tried his luck on 70 with a roundhouse style kick at goal, but the ball looped agonisingly wide of the near post.
Burton almost made sure of the points on 86 ater agreat flowing move down the right wing, but substitute Terry Henshaw headed wide.
Ward had to be replaced by Carl Heggs at the start of injury time after suffering an injury (more on this later tonight).
And despite 3 minutes stoppage time neither side could produce enough and once again Tamworth shared the points with their opponents.

Rickards, Edwards
Anaclet, Melton, Bampton (Storer 83), Ward (Heggs 90)
Turner, Smith, Redmile, Touhy

Subs: Stamps, McConnell, Gayle

Burton Albion
Deeney, Corbett, Tinson, Stride, Anderson (Harrad 71), Shaw, Ducros, Gilroy, Sedgemore, Rowett (Henshaw 74), Todd

Subs: Taylor, Clough, Ayes

Yellow Cards: Melton 77
Red Cards: none

Att: 2680

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures