Search results to follow...

2nd round here we come!

FT: AFC Bournemouth 1    2 Tamworth

05 November 2005

Tamworth approached thier first round FA Cup tie with the Cherries in the best possible way with an overnight stop and a pre-match training session at Southampton. And although the team were without Matt Redmile, with a recurrence of his hamstring niggle, Adie Smith, suspended after his sending off against Exeter, and Bob Taylor the mood was positive in the Lambs' camp of a giantkilling against the Division One side.

Tamworth forced a corner in the first minute from Edwards' shot which just evaded Carl Heggs and ricocheted off a Cherries' defender. Aaron Brown struck a deflected close range shot over the bar which gave the Lambs another chance from the flag kick as the early exchanges all fell Tamworth’s way.

Bournemouth tried to turn the screw a little with some good passing but Brown and Dave Bampton looked fairly comfortable clearing the danger as required.

A good run through midfield released James Keene to try his luck but Bampton was well positioned and put the ball behind for a corner which the Lambs dealt with.

Steven Foley then forced a path down the right by-line but once again Scott Stamps and Brown did what was required to halt the home side's approach.

As possibly to be expected, the home side showed more of an attacking approach to the game as the first half went on without really threatening Scott Bevan.

Mark Cooper gave away a disputed free kick outside the area on 25 minutes with a late challenge, but with the wall back past the penalty spot the home side wasted the chance.

Edwards got the Lambs' first effort on target shortly after with a turn and shot on the edge of the area but it was tame for Gareth Stewart in the home goal.

Then, Tamworth got their best chance to take the lead, on 29 minutes and took it!

Graham Ward celebrates

After a fantastic run by Edwards from midfield, the on-loan Exeter striker turned his defender inside out and struck a low shot at Stewart who did well to block, but the ball came back out to Graham Ward and the Irishman took no asking to delightfully chip into the far corner to send the travelling Lambs faithful into a state of delirium. 0-1

The Cherries continued to try to find a way back into the game but Tamworth showed no lack of confidence at the back and worked hard to quash any half chances they tried to muster.

Unfortunately for the Lambs, Kyle Storer conceded another dangerous free kick on the edge of the area after some good attacking play by Bournemouth in first half stoppage time and Brian Stock fired a curling effort over the wall to level the scores. 1-1
HT 1-1

It was backs against the wall for the Lambs at the start of the second half as the home side looked to secure their place in the second round at the first attempt but as with the first half the Tamworth defence did exactly what was required to stop the Cherries with £16,000 prize money on offer to the winner and the possibility of a plum tie.

Neil Young tried his luck from long range on 61 minutes in the first real shot on target for the home side in the second period, but Bevan was untroubled although the home side continued to push forward leaving Tamworth to look for chances on the break.

A rare break for Tamworth saw Heggs fire straight at Stewart from 20 yards following good work but Robinson and Edwards on 65 but still the home side were unrelenting.

Nathan Jackson replaced the tired legs of Heggs on 74 in attack as the Lambs seemed to be playing at time with an almost 8-0-2 formation.

Sub Stephen Cooke fired wide with a flashed shot on 76 and Cooper conceded a free kick on the left of the area on 78 but Foley curled the ball well wide of the far post.

Tamworth took the lead through a Kyle Storer rebounded penalty on 81 minutes. Browning handballed in the area and the young midfielder saw his penalty kick saved at the righthand upright by Stewart but the rebound fell to his feet and he made no mistake. 1-2
Kyle storer strikes for goal and scores on the rebound

Bournemouth then threw everything at The Lambs in a bid to rescue the tie, flashing shots and headers wide and even one into the side netting but the Lambs held strong to the end to record their first ever away victory in the FA Cup 1st Round against league opposition.

Heggs (Jackson 74), Edwards
Robinson, Cooper, Storer, Ward
Stamps, Brown, Bampton, Touhy

Unused: Francis, Turner, Whitman, Gayle

Hayter, Keene (Cooke 70)
Foley, Browning (Coutts 87), Stock, Surman
Hart, Young, Cooper, O’Connor

Goals: Ward 29, Stock 45, Storer 81

Yellow Cards: Mark Cooper 34, Touhy 45, Robinson 45
Red Cards: none

Att: 4,550

MOM - The whole team!!

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures