Search results to follow...

Unbeaten 14 ends at Broadhall Way

FT: Stevenage Borough 3    1 Tamworth

27 August 2005

Tamworth unbeaten run of 14 Conference league games came to an end against last seasons beaten playoff finalists and while Stevenage did look the part, manager Mark Cooper blamed his sides lack of passion and commitment rather than an impressive Stevenage side.

Aaron Brown was forced to sit the game out due to a tight hamstring and Dave Bampton came in as replacement at centre back alongside Matt Redmile as Cooper played a
4-5-1 formation. Keeper, James Dormand was outstanding between the posts, despite letting in three goals, and Cooper said after the game "All their goals started with errors by us - schoolboy errors sometimes. Dormand should never have been put in the position to prove himself to be the class 'keeper we know he is. If 4 or 5 of the team had done their job properly and not been outfought rather than outplayed it could have been different."

Shots by Jon Nurse, Anthony Elding and George Boyd were all expertly stopped by Dormand who showed his repertoire as a goalkeeper tipping the ball around the post, diving at full length and blocking with most parts of his body to stop the Boro attack as it took 41 minutes for the home to start their scoring.

Anthony Elding received the ball after Dave Bampton miscued a short pass and fired a cross to the far post for George Boyd to rifle a shot into the roof of the net to give his side a 1-0 advantage at the break.

Dave Bampton was punished for his error by being substituted at half time to make way for Bob Taylor and with a
4-4-2 formation The Lambs played a lot better football but still struggled to keep their share of the possession.

Dormand was once again called upon to stop both Elding and Jason Goodliffe before Boyd exposed a static Lambs defence to give Elding the relatively easy chance of hitting a close range effort in for number two.

Matt Redmile got a rare goal on 74 minutes via a Hugh McAuley free kick which Redmile directed through a crowded box with a neat header and this should have sparked a comeback from
Tamworth but Boyd once again got around the defence to cross for Goodliffe to head home from close range.

Rob Quinn saw his header come back of the bar shortly after and although Lambs substitutes Nathan Jackson and Carl Heggs did their best to inject some life into the lacklustre Lambs the damage had already been done.

"There is no reason other than lack of commitment and passion. We showed more fight in the last 20 minutes that in the rest of the game. There are undoubtedly going to be changes on Monday against
Hereford. The lads know they have let themselves and the supporters down and they can't afford to do it again."

Dormand, Smith, Bampton (
Taylor HT), Redmile, Hollis (Jackson 58), Ward, Alsop, McAuley, Stamps, Turner, Whitman (Heggs 72)
Unused: Cooper, Gayle

Att: 1635

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures