Search results to follow...

Penalty joy for Lambs

FT: Hereford 0    0 Tamworth

08 October 2019

Tamworth travelled to Edgar Street the first time since the Bulls reformed out of the ashes of United, for the Emirates FA Cup 3rd Round Qualifying replay tie in with £11,250 still on offer to the winners (and £3,750 to the losers) and a home tie against Darlington awaiting.
The Lambs made two changes to the side that played out a goalless draw 4 days previously, with Dan Creaney and Bilal Yafai starting in place of Aaron Forde and Greg Kaziboni.

Hereford started the match, with Tamworth attacking the end that the travelling faithful flanked, opposite the big main stand.
Vincenti got a low shot away at Singh in the third minute which the keeper took comfortably.
A trip by Waite as the Lambs number 7 advanced, earned home captain Gowling an early booking.
A well timed through ball was played for Creaney on 6 and he broke through the last defender to get a shot away and it went under Hall but the keeper smothered it. Both sides moved the ball around well, with Tamworth showing a precise passing game out of the back and into midfield and beyond.
Vicenti’s hopeful effort took a big deflection out of play for a corner on the left in front of the home fans behind the goal on 17 and The Lambs cleared their lines at the second attempt.
A freekick for the home side on 18 allowed Vincenti another attempt this time with a dead ball from 25 yards and it took a massive touch off the top of the wall and out for another corner on the left.
Creaney blocked the short corner and forced Hereford to try again from the keeper upfield.
And it broke with O’Sullivan who struck from distance forcing Singh to push the shot over the bar with an acrobatic one handed effort.
Singh then denied Vincenti on 22 with a low save from a powerful low shot from 20 yards out.
Tamworth pushed up on 27 and forced a right sided throw by the corner flag and it was flicked into on but then stabbed away.
A Creaney 1-2 flick on for Obeng to run onto saw Obeng possibly tugged back by Gowling but the referee was close and waved away the calls for a foul.
A freekick was given at the other end on 32 but Nicholson’s strike into the box was headed behind by Symons.
Another Nicholson effort on 34 came off a Lambs defender for a left sided corner and Gough got in the way of a challenge that brought play to a halt and allowed Tamworth to regroup.
Singh sprinted to the edge of the box to collect off the toes of Symons on 37 and on 38 Magunda diverted a low cross from the left from Bodenham out for a corner on the left which Singh took at height.
Symons was upended by some physical backing in on 43 for a Hereford freekick and Owen-Evans lined up the dead ball from 30 yards.
The home side attacked and Cox put the ball behind for a corner on the left.
Singh was then called into action to deny a shot from Nicholson on the right of the box that looked to be heading for the bottom left corner.
Cullinane-Liburd picked up a card for a foul on Cox as two added minutes were shown at the end of the first half and the whistle blew on an eventful first half.

HT: Hereford 0    0 Tamworth

Tamworth restarted proceedings and Creaney got an early shot away which was easy for Hall.
Cox nudged Owen-Evans to the floor on the left wing on 47 and despite calls for a foul when the ball was floated into the box the offside flag ruled it out, and another ball in by Bodenham caused problems.
Jagger-Cane followed up a Vincenti header into the box on 50 and his low shot was cleared off the line by Beswick.
Yafai threaded the ball through to Waite in the left of the box on 53 and with the gaol at his mercy his shot rose and clipped the top of the bar on the way up and over Hall.
Yafai was then booked for pulling O’Sullivan back, and the referee waved away handball claims when a shot was blocked in the Hereford box by a Hereford defender.
Hereford manager Slade was yellow carded on 62.
During a period of Lambs pressure Waite skipped into the box but was denied by a last ditch tackle and then unleashed a drive which was fairly easy for Hall to smother.
Hall was booked on 71 for pushing Yafai with two hands after the Lambs forward had kicked the ball away after the whistle had blown.
Nicholson unleashed a powerful strike wide of the mark on 77.
The Lambs then made two changes in quick succession brining Forde and Hoenes into the fray and Hereford started to turn up the heat as the final few minutes came into view.
Beswick was booked for a pull in near the centre circle on 86 and from the freekick Hereford forced a corner on the left which was allowed to go out of play for a goalkick.
A minimum of four added minutes were show at the end of the second half and with it a freekick which was floated into the area and Gowling headed it high over the target.
Hall then launched a deadball into the final third and Gough blocked Owen-Evans attempted cross as the clock ticked on to end 180 minutes of goalless football and send the game into extra time.


Hereford restarted the game, and Magunda was called upon to deny a run by Owen-Evans inside the first minute.
Owen-Evans then crossed for O’Sullivan and he flashed his header wide of the near post.
At the other end Waite put the ball into the box and it fell to Hoenes at the back of the box but his shot was charged down.
Gough pulled up with cramp on 5 and had to leave the field for a short period before being replaced by Wilder.
Thomas was booked for a challenge on Waite on the left and was booked for his efforts. While Waite received treatment, Creaney met the dead ball with his header but it dropped onto the roof of the net.
Waite was unable to continue and was replaced by Pegg on 11.
A blocked shot forced a right sided corner for Beswick on 14 but it was cleared by a hefty boot. Ash went down under pressure on 15 but his claims for a penalty were waved away.
Hoenes then went as close as you can with a blocked shot 6 yards out and Pegg followed up but was too wide to really threaten in the last action in the first half of added time.
After a brief break, Tamworth restarted the tie and Pegg was booked for a tackle on the halfway line on 17.
Hoenes appeared to go through and be bundled over in the box but the referee pointed to the ball being taken in the tackle and then at the other end, Singh was booked for time wasting.
Fry unleashed a shot from the edge of the box on 21 and it went a whisker wide of the right hand post.
Hereford forced a corner which was headed down by Gowling and it went out for a goalkick without threatening Singh.
A Beswick freekick on 25 dropped invitingly but it went just wide for Cox to hit at goal and the home defence cleared.
Wilder picked up a booking on 27 and the freekick came back out for O’Sullivan to strike at goal but his shot went high over the target.
Wilder whipped the ball into the anger area on 29 but it skipped past everyone and went out at the far post with Hoenes rushing in.
Pegg picked up the ball on the left of the box and struck high and wide of the mark, but it was worth a try before the final whistle blew and sent the game into penalties


1 - Pollock saw his saved by Singh, and Beswick netted past Hall (0-1)

2 - Owen-Evans blazed over the bar then Rowe-Turner's effort was thwarted by Hall (0-1)

3 - Symons smashed his penalty over the target, and Hoenes slotted his home (0-2)

4 - Ash put his spot kick in off the post, and Fry sealed victory for the Lambs with a low kick under the keeper (1-3)

Tamworth Team:

Singh, Cox, Gough (Wilder ET 6), Beswick (c.) Magunda, Rowe-Turner, Waite, Fry, Creaney, Yafai (Forde 78), Obeng (Hoenes 77)
Subs: Walton, Frances, Clement, Pegg

YC: Pegg ET 17, Singh ET 19

Hereford Team:

Hall, Thomas, Bodenham, Jagger-Cane (Pollock 67), Cullinane-Liburd, Gowling (c.), Vincenti (Ash 78), O’Sullivan, Symons, Owen-Evans, Nicholson
Subs: Pope, Muirhead, Finn, Davies, Burwood

YC: Gowling 5, Cullinane-Liburd 45, Hall 71, Thomas ET6

Attendance: 1271

Referee: Mr. D. Wooton

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures