Search results to follow...

Lambs result is just as we like it

FT: Tamworth 4    1 Stratford Town

07 March 2020

The Lambs returned to league action at The CR MOT Centre Community Stadium having played just one competitive fixture in 24 days with the 4-0 win over Biggleswade a fortnight previously the only competitive game for the side, two weeks ago, since the Kidsgrove Staffs Senior Cup tie on 11 Feb.
Since then, Tamworth had retained top spot by virtue of a weather disrupted fixture list and the misfortunes of others so welcomed Stratford Town to The Lamb one point ahead of Peterborough Sports with two games in hand.
The Lambs had strengthened their squad during this time too bringing in Ken Feyi from Aylesbury United, Joel Carta on loan from Kettering and Gerry McDonagh previously with Aldershot and Nottingham Forest.

The visitors, with Lambs Legend Dale Belford now assistant to manager Paul Davis started the game in 18th place, a handful of points above the drop zone.
The visitors got the game underway but The Lambs went close inside the first minute when Obeng drilled the ball into the box from the right neither Obeng or McDonagh could finish at close range and the ball went out for a corner which was cleared.
Cowans was booked for a dangerous challenge on Forde on 6 which set up Beswick with a deaball 25 yards out in the right channel which cannoned off the wall.
Beswick battled the ball out of midfield on 10 and fed Waite but his snapshot went wide of the left hand post and a long easy ball through to the keeper on 12 was misskick and fell to McDonagh but he was unable to capitalise before the keeper smothered the chance.
Chambers beat the offside trap on 17 and drilled the ball low from the right of the box, forcing Singh to push the ball away from danger as Stratford enjoyed a spell of possession.
A strong run from Waite on 20 ended with a number of blocking challenges to deny his shot and Obeng’s follow up.
At the other end, a deep freekick was glanced behind for a corner on the left and Hart cleared but Fisher had a half chance and missed it.
Then, from Singh’s release, the ball found Obeng on the right and he drilled it into the centre for Waite to finish from 8 yards out (1-0, 23 mins)
A trip on Obeng 20 yards out in the right channel set up Beswick with another deadball but it struck the wall and went back to Forde who shot diagonally on target and Davies pushed the ball out for a corner.
Waite forced a corner on the left on 33 with a strong run into the box but it had to wait while the visitors made a change after injury to Fisher, bringing Perry into the fray.
Flowing attacking play from Tamworth forced another flagkick on 39 and Beswick planted it onto the head of Gough at the near post, but it span at head height past the far post and out for a goalkick.
Prior to one minute added time being shown at the end of the first half The Lambs went on the attack and McDonagh fired wide of the mark after two blocked attempts from Obeng and Waite in the build up in the final action of the half.

HT: Tamworth 1    0 Stratford Town

Tamworth restarted the game and immediately went on the attack but Gough’s deep cross looking for McDonagh skipped out before he could get to it. But the Lambs didn’t have to wait long as Obeng refiled home past Davies from 6 yards after McDonagh had lifted the ball over the defence for him to pounce and score (2-0, 47 mins)
Perry reduced the arrears less than 120 seconds later, finishing a floated cross into the box from the right with an outstretched boot to put it past Singh (2-1, 49 mins)
A Beswick corner on 55 was met by the head of Gough but it whistled past the near post by a foot or so and both players held their heads in their hands in disappointment that the training move had not paid off in a match.
Isaac was booked for tripping Obeng on 58 and Yafai was then brought down in the box by his marker giving Beswick the chance from the penalty spot which he duly took to extend The Lambs lead (3-1, 60 mins)
One striker replaced another on 62 as debutant Carta replaced McDonagh and two good runs by Obeng nearly set him up but the Stratford defence worked hard to block his balls into the box.
Beswick put the ball into the area from a corner and then from a cross on 70 and both times The Lambs went close but not quite close enough.
Fry replaced Beswick on 74 and in the next move Stratford pushed forwards with Chambers running free into the box but Rowe-Turner saved the day with a crunching tackle to deny him.
Obeng received a standing ovation for his contribution when he was replaced by Lait on 81 and the latter attempted a lob on 95 but cleared the target from 20 yards.
And then in the final minute Yafai released Carta to sprint into the box and slot hoe diagonally past Davies to round the afternoon off (4-1, 90 mins)
Two minutes added time came and went and The Lambs deservedly celebrated three points and continued top spot.

Tamworth Team:

Singh, Hart, Gough, Beswick (c.) (Fry 74), Magunda, Rowe-Turner, Waite, Forde, McDonagh (Carta 62), Yafai, Obeng (Lait 81)
Subs: Wilder, Hoenes

YC: Rowe-Turner 78

Stratford Town Team:

Davies, Vann (Heaven 67), Fisher (Perry 33), Richards, Townsend, Rowley, Chambers, Benjamin, Mcfarlane (Howards 74), Cowans, Isaac
Subs: Flanagan, Thompson-Brown

YC: Cowans 6, Isaac 58

Attendance: 688

Man of the Match: Biddulph Round Table chose Obeng

Referee: Mr Richard Eley

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures