Search results to follow...

Lambs stone the Crows to make it seven

FT: Royston Town 1    2 Tamworth

28 September 2019

Tamworth moved up to second in the league with victory at Garden Walk.
A year and one day previously, Tamworth had entertained Royston at The Lamb in what was previous boss Dennis Greene’s first game in charge.
That proved, eventually, to be a none starter, and Gary Smith and Andy Danylyzsyn were soon at the helm and so by the time the two sides met at Garden Walk at the end of 2018-19 The Lambs were performing much better and recorded a 2-0 away victory.
This time around Tamworth came into the game on the back of a six game winning streak, and a place in the 3rd Round of the FA Cup.
Their hosts were enjoying similar fortunes, winning four and drawing two of their last half dozen outings, and a Cup place forthcoming too.

The Lambs made two changes to the side that defeated Loughborough in the FA Cup with Jordan Clement and Ahmed Obeng taking places on the bench with Aaron Forde and Rhys Hoenes starting after coming on in the cup.
The Lambs got the game underway, attacking the clubhouse end in a windy first half and from a throw in Forde was fouled in the second minute.
Beswick’s freekick was taken by the keeper and a long kick saw Magunda clear the danger.
The home side forced a corner on the right from the throw in and Forde booted it away. Newton made headway down the left and flicked the ball through to Ofosu in the 10th minute.
It was met at the near post by Murray but he couldn’t get his touch on target and the ball went wide enough not to trouble Singh.
Forde released Hoenes in the box on 11 but his shot that looked to be going under the keeper was smothered by Welch.
Kaziboni then picked up the ball on the left and it seemed his cross may have struck a hand but the referee was having none of it.
In the 17 minute Waite netted his 4th of the season picking up the ball on the left and slotting it calmly past Welch into the bottom left (1-0, 17 mins)
Royston nearly responded perfectly via Ofosu but his shot went into the side netting on 18 and In the 20th minute fans around the ground set off pink balloons during a minutes applause in the memory of Keeley Bunker.
The home side enjoyed more of the ball from then on, keeping Tamworth penned back for the most part, but not really delivering in the final third.
Magunda put a tackle in on the edge of the area on 33 and received a booking for his efforts and Bridges stepped up to strike the freekick home past Singh via a wicked deflection past Singh. (1-1, 35 mins)
A foul by Bridges on Cox on the halfway line earned the Rosyton man a card on 37 and the freekick forced Welch to be on his guard and to take the ball.
At the other end Murray skied the loose ball from 18 yards when a placed shot on target was otherwise expected. Hoenes was penalised for a pull on Castiglione on 42 and Ofosu’s cross from the right took a touch to take it over the bar for a right sided corner which evaded the jump of everyone in the box.
A long kick forward was headed behind by Magunda as added time at the end of the half came into view and Newton’s flagkick was high and long.
Kaziboni struck from distance but failed to test Welch with his left sided angled drive on 46 and the whistle blew with the scoreline all square.

HT: Royston Town 1    1 Tamworth

The Crows restarted proceedings with The Lambs kicking down the Garden Walk slope towards the Brian Racher stand.
A strong run from Kaziboni was let down by a scuffed shot which went back to Welch on 48 but he continued to try and cause problems for the home defence and on 51 forced the defence to be on their mettle following another concerted push forwards.
An extremely long kick from Singh was met by Hoenes in the area on 53, but it skipped off his boot and the flag went up and at the other end Castiglione’s near post header from the right sided ball into the danger area beat Singh, but came back off the upright and Maguda cleared before Fry picked up a booking for dissent on 57 when Royston cleared the ball out of the ground.
Creaney came on on the hour but it was Forder that headed home in the next move from the right to the delight of the travelling faithful. (2-1, 60 mins)
Mentis picked up a card for upending Beswick on 62 and Royston launched the ball forwards once again.
Kaziboni and Forde continued to cause problems in the final third, and Obeng returned to the action after the clattering tackle removed him from the game at Loughborough, on 69.
A Creaney cross was blocked for a right sided corner on 75 but Cox’s header at the back of the box was high and wide of the mark.
A foul by Rowe-Turner set Newton up with a deep freekick from the right and although two home players went to ground while the ball was in the air, the referee saw no infringement and a goalkick resulted.
The Crows boss Steve Castle was booked after consultation with the linesman on 78 and on 79 Braithwaite was adjudged to have been pulled down setting up Newton and Bridges again, 20 yards from goal and it cleared the target by a few feet.
Forde continued to cause problems down the middle of the park and into the final third, and Oben then forced a corner for Beswick to put into the box but it was long and Creaney did well to get the ball back into the box for Welch to gather at his near post. Kaziboni was brought down on the left and Asafu-Adjaye was booked for the hacking tackle.
The Lambs number 7 required treatment before Beswick could fire the freekick into the anger area but it didn’t cause too many problems for the home defence.
Beswick picked up a booking for time wasting as the minutes ticked onto 90 and the first of six minutes added time was entered.
Clement replaced the hardworking Forde on 92 and as The Lambs worked to take the game through to ensure the three points,
Kaziboni angled a shot from the left past the right hand upright which nestled in the travelling faithful’s flags over the hoardings shortly before the final whistle blew on another three points

Tamworth Team:

Singh, Cox, Gough, Beswick, Magunda, Rowe-Turner, Kaziboni, Fry, Waite (Creaney 59), Forde (Clement (90+2), Hoenes (Obeng 69)
Subs: Walton, Wilder

YC: Magunda 34, Fry 57, Rowe-Turner 81, Beswick 90

Royston Town Team:

Welch, Scott-Morris (Castiglione 16), Newton, Bridges, Murray, Braithwaite, Knight (Adams 60), Asafu-Adjaye, Martin, Bateman (Mentis 60), Ofosu
Subs: Crowther, Smart

YC: Bridges 37, Mentis 62, Asafu-Adjaye 83

Attendance: 313

Referee: Steve Castle

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures