Search results to follow...

Poor second half show sinks Lambs

FT: Morecambe 3    0 Tamworth

09 October 2004

”There must have been something wrong with Tamworth’s half time oranges” was one view of the game that could be heard in the clubhouse after the Lambs latest Conference fixture. As players and fans of both the Lambs and Shrimps mingled to watch England defeat Wales in the Christie Park bar, a great deal of head scratching was being done by both sets of fans as to what went wrong (or right depending on which way you look at it!)
Tamworth, buoyed by their midweek win against Accrington, spent the first 40 minutes knocking the ball around the park for fun and should have gone in at half time with a lead they could either build on or defend in the second half. But it all went wrong when they re-emerged after the break as a slightly reshuffled Morecambe struck three times to sink the Lambs and extend their unbeaten run to seven games.
Shaun Harrad missed the target on 11 and forced 'keeper Sollitt to make a poor clearance on 26, but Bob Taylor's effort from 25 yards just cleared the bar.
Morecambe's play left a lot to be desired and the home fans were getting restless, while former Shrimp’s Player of the Year Lee Colkin should have done a lot better with his far post header on 31 from Sekani Simpson's cross as Tamworth continued to impress.
A high ball by the returning Adie Smith, in for an ill Matt Redmile, found Harrad who appeared to have robbed the keeper and forced a corner but the referee gave a free kick the other way much to everyone’s surprise and while Tamworth were definitely the better side a this point it was Ryan Price who was the hero at the end of the first period.
Morecambe seemed to snap out of their deep sleep with 5 first half minutes to go as Terry McFlynn tried his luck from 15 yards and Garry Hunter almost latched on a through ball that Robinson and Price hesitated over clearing.
Almost inevitably despite all Tamworth’s good work in the first half, Morecambe took the lead after 49 minutes with a goal that even Shrimps fans described as lucky. Wayne Curtis' shot was parried by Price and the same player followed in with a diving header that struck the bar and fell invitingly to top scorer Michael Twiss to fire home from 6 yards out.
Twiss tried his luck on 59 with an effort that Price just cleared but two minutes later Kieron Walmsley pounced on Dave Robinson's high defensive header to nod the ball home and the home side started to grow in confidence while Tamworth continued to look a mile apart from their first half showing.
Gary Thompson made it three with seven minutes to go following a mix up between Price and Robinson that saw the ball run free for the substitute to score with relative ease as if to force the final nail into the Lambs coffin.
Even Lambs Manager Mark Cooper was bemused at the defeat, “I don’t know how we lost that one, I told the lads to continue as they had done in the first half but stopped doing the basic things right and were made to pay.”

Price, Smith A. Colkin, Ebdon, Harrad (Whitman 69), Simpson, Stamps (Storer 65), Robinson, Taylor, Sheppard (Brown A. 80), Brown M.
Unused Subs: Bampton, Cooper

Att: 1410

MOM: Sekani Simpson

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures