Search results to follow...

Lambs leave it late at Leiston

FT: Leiston 1    2 Tamworth

24 August 2019

The Lambs made the long journey to Suffolk to take struggling Leiston on, on their own turf in bright summer sunshine at Victory Road. With Cox suspended Tamworth Yafai came into the starting eleven and new keeper Walton took a place on the bench.

The Lambs kicked off the match in the glorious sunshine and the home side had the first effort with McKeown shooting from distance high over Singh’s goal.
Waite whipped in a low ball from the right on 3 but it skipped through the box.
On 7, Lawrence dragged his shot wide of the right hand post from the left of the box when he perhaps should have hit it first time, and Singh was not troubled by it.
Neither side could forge a chance on target to test the keeper and a left sided cross from Woerndl was eventually met by the shot from Henry on 16 which came close.
Creaney was broghth down in the left channel as he advanced alongside the Leiston defender on 20 and Beswick lined up the deadball but it was too long for Creaney to do anything with.
A break for drinks on 25 allowed the players and officials to rehydrate before Singh restarted play with a goal kick.
Hoenes forced a corner on the right with a deflected cross on 29 and Beswick’s flagkick was hooked away back to Singh who launched it all the way back down to Jessup in the Leiston goal.
He caught ball at height and also Waite but there was no card, despite Beswick speaking to referee Mt Whitton.
Clement couldn’t get his header from Creaney’s cross on target on 32 and Jessup was not forced to protect his goal in the best chance of the first half which ended without further incident.

HT: Leiston 0    0 Tamworth

Leiston got the game back underway and a freekick on the right on 48 struck by Lawrence took a touch for a corner on the same side which the same player took.
Leiston defender Harry Clements powered his downward header towards goal and it nearly squeezed through for the opening goal but The Lambs dealt with the ensuing pressure.
At the other end Clement and Wilder combined and Creaney was beaten to the ball at the near post for a corner on the left which Leiston cleared.
After a good spell of Lambs possession around 55 had seen Waite, Hoenes and Creaney all see shots blocked, Clement forced Jessup to save with his feet.
A deep cross from Fry was punched off the head of Creaney for a throw on 59.
The home side took the lead on the hour though racing to the other end, forcing Singh into a low stop from the left of the box and McKeown was on hand to mop it up at the far post (0-1, 60 mins)
Henry forced a corner off Wilder on 65 and a deep cross into the box saw players clash heads and require treatment before the game could restart.
Tamworth made their final two changes on 67 and on 71 a foul allowed Beswick to set up a deadball on the left wing. He found the head of Creaney, but he directed the header wide of the mark.
A right sided corner on 74 was too high for Clement but on 76 he received the ball 35 yards out, pushed it forwards a little and picked his spot lobbing Jessup for the equaliser. (1-1, 76 mins)
Wilder’s shot from distance took a deflection for a left sided corner on 79 but it was cleared. At the other end Parrondo hit a powerful shot straight at Singh and Gough was called offside from a Creaney flick on, on 85.
The home side countered increased Lambs pressure in the final minutes and Lawrence’s shot from the edge of the box curled off Wilder for a corner on the left on 88.
Creaney headed it clar and Clement launched it away.
Waite forced a right sided corner on 90 but it was booted away and four minutes added time was shown.
A shot from Waite then went behind for another right sided flagkick on 92, and Beswick’s ball was met by the head of Creaney in a crowded box to put the Lambs in the lead for the first time in the game and the bench and the visiting faithful celebrated almost as much as when the final whistle blew on three points (2-1, 92 mins)

Tamworth Team:
Singh, Fry (Obeng 67), Wilder, Beswick, Gough, Rowe-Turner, Waite, Yafai (Duncan 67), Creaney, Clement, Hoenes (James 62)
Subs: Walton, Howes

Leiston Team:
Jessup, Hammond, Woerndl (Serra Parrondo 61), Knights, Clements, Lawrence, Eagle, Blake (Sharman 36), Henry (Hitter 79), McKeown
Subs: Pon Llado, Beckwith

Attendance: 242

Referee: Mr. R. Whitton

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures