Search results to follow...

Late Lait screamer seals pre-Halloween trophy win

FT: Tamworth 3    0 Gainsborough Trinity

30 October 2018

After the goalless draw at Northolme on Saturday Tamworth welcomed Trinity back to The Lamb for their Buildbase FA Trophy 1t Round Qualifying Replay with £3,250 in prize money and a trip to Marske United on Saturday 10 November awaiting the winners.

Lambs boss Dennis Greene made one change to the side that ran out in Lincolnshire three days previously with Cameron Johnson, who picked up a knock to the head in the second half, replaced by Aman Verma.
Gainsborough got the game underway, attacking the Castle End in the first half but it was The Lambs who took the lead on 5 with the first real attack of the game.
Lait took the ball down and along the edge of the box before rolling his shot diagonally inside the right hand post with the keeper expecting it to go the opposite way (1-0, 5 mins)
Stainfield was forced from the field after a clash of heads left him needing a bandage on 12.
A disputed freekick was awarded to The Lambs on 15 which Beswick lined up on the left wing but Verma couldn’t direct his header, from the back of the box, on target.
Gough launched the ball into the box from a left sided freekick on the half way line on 21, but it wouldn’t fall for Waite and Dewhurst gathered the loose ball before he could get to it.
Waite forced a corner on the right on 24 which was drilled low into the box but the resulting shot from Lait was blocked and cleared.
A left sided corner was then floated into the box by Beswick on 25 but Lait could only flick his header long although The Lambs continued to boss the game.
However, from a freekick on the right wing the ball fell to Evans on 28 and he thumped his shot towards goal, Singh managed to get a touch and it cannoned out for a corner off the bar.
Gainsborough continued to press and Singh punched the ball clear before a left sided cross was headed off target by Reeves, under pressure from the Lambs defence.
Gordon’s left wing cross fell perfectly for Worsfold on 32 but he was unable to turn the chance into a goal and diverted the ball past the far post when Trinity fans were hoping for a cool finish.
Ture’s tackle on Lait earned The Lambs a corner on the left on 37 but it was nodded down and wide of the far post by Kettle.
Tamworth doubled their advantage on 38 Lait’s initial shot from the left of the box struck the b-oot of a defender but fell invitingly for Waite to drill it home diagonally under the keeper into the far corner to make it 2-0 at the break.

HT: Tamworth 2    0 Gainsborough Trinity

The Lambs restarted proceedings, attacking the Castle End in the second half and a dinked through ball allowed Verma to chase the high ball into the area down, but Dewhurst was quickest out and smothered the opportunity.
Tamworth enjoyed a spell of positive attacking play around the box and although Dewhurst was not tested the intention to add to the tally was definitely warming the partisan home crowd in the near freezing temperatures.
Former Lamb Simon Russell curled a shot at Singh which was easy for the keeper to gather on 54.
Verma was booked for a challenge on Stainfield on 56 and he was also booked for his reaction which required both linesmen to consult with the man in the middle before he showed the cards to the players involved.
Dunkley replaced Paul Green on 64 and Gainsborough made their first change on 68 as both sides continued to keep the pace of the game steady, but with chances limited.
A trip on Lait set up Beswick with the dead ball in a central position 35 yards out on 70 and Tamworth kept the ball before Lait was upended again, this time by the clubhouse.
Beswick’s ball into the box was cleared though, and The Lambs had to work to get posesison back, which Magunda did with a punt forwards.
Lait forced the keeper to push his low left sided cross away from danger on 81, and a minute later Verma made way for Moore.
Gough picked up a booking on 86 following a challenge on the halfway line that looked from a distance like a well timed sliding challenge.
As the clocked ticked onto 90, Gainsborough conceded a corner by the clubhouse and when it eventually fell to Lait 30 yards out he struck it from distance and it rocketed over the keeper into the top right corner, (3-0) a contender for goal of the season and a great way to finish a solid performance to see the side into the next round

Tamworth Team:

Singh, Green K, Gough, Beswick (c.), Kettle, Jemson, Green P (Dunkley 64), Verma (Moore 82), Lait, Magunda, Waite (Townrow 90)
Subs: Jeynes, Asante

YC: Verma 56, Gough 86

Gainsborough Trinity Team:

Dewhurst, Ture, Gordon, Clarke (c.), Evans, Stainfield, Margetts (Chapman 73), Russell, Worsfold, Reeves (Wilson 68), Simmons
Subs (3 only): Byrne

YC: Stainfield 56

Attendance: 276

Referee: Mr. S. Richardson

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures