Search results to follow...

Lambs fall to ten Marketmen

FT: Tamworth 1    2 Needham Market

08 January 2019

After the weekend’s 2-1 reversal to the hands of title chasing Kettering, The Lambs returned home looking to return to winning ways in the first meeting between Tamworth and Needham Market.
Boss Dennis Greene made three changes to the side that ran out at Latimer Park at the weekend and was forced to make a fourth as Simpson pulled up during training and Jeynes made his League debut.

The Lambs started the game attacking the Meadow Street End and in the tenth minute it seemed that Taylor had headed home at the far post through the legs of Jessup before the keeper had had chance to claw it out from behind himself, but only Taylor really shouted for the possible goal, Needham cleared for a corner and then defended the flagkick.
Market broke forward in the next move through Ingram down the right channel and forced Jeynes to make a smart save with his legs at his near post.
Taylor made a strong run into the box from the left wing on 23 but under pressure from the visiting defence his ball across looking for Smith only found Jessup.
Market forced a corner on 27 and Smith powerfully headed it away allowing Tamworth to break down the right but Taylor’s attempted chest for Smith to run on to, in the box, didn’t quite come off as planned.
Jeynes prevented Dobson’s angled shot with a toed clearance on 38 and the resulting on target shot from Ingram was blocked amongst a sea of defenders.
Kettle was unable to continue after this though bringing James in for his Lambs debut on 40.
Three minutes added time was shown at the end of the first half and a corner fell to Maphosa but his snap shot went well wide of the right hand post.
Smith’s ball from the right was only half cleared and Clement’s follow up was deflected away for a corner.

HT: Tamworth 0    0 Needham Market

Needham restarted proceedings with the temperature dropping and a poor defensive header form Maphosa fell to visiting captain Heath on 47 who picked his spot and took his chance to give Needham the lead from 18 yards (0-1, 47 mins)
With Tamworth still rocked by the smash and grab start to the half, Dobson cut into the left of the box on 48 and fired past Jeynes and the far post.
A freekick against Squire saw Verma set up with a volley on 50 but he hit it off target while at the other end Marsden rolled a low quick cross across the six yard box and out for a goalkick on 52.
A quick fire round of shot from Needham saw Marsden hit the post and then Heath and Kazmanzi both saw follow ups blocked by The Lambs defence on 53. At the other end, on 55, Taylor’s low shot following a looped pass into the area from Smith’s on the right of the box.
On 66, Squire picked up his second booking of the game and so left the field leaving Market a man down for the remainder.
From the freekick Taylor glanced his header just wide of the far post and The Lambs kept up the pressure in the following minutes. Concannon shot wide of the left hand post after another flowing passage of play on 70 and then Shaw and James combined to find the head of Hayden but he couldn’t direct it on target.
But the goal that Tamworth had been threatening did come as Verma had different ideas on 76 with a powerful half volley struck from 35 yards which flew into the back of the net past Jessup to level the tie (1-1, 76 mins)
But the visitors regained the lead on 86 when Dobson nipped through the back line and prodded it past Jeynes, went round the keeper and finished from close range (1-2, 86 mins)
After Mpofu came on for James, Baker headed a dangerous corner from Concannon away from danger on 88 and The Lambs pushed forwards looking for a second equaliser.
Five minutes added time was shown at the end of the second half and Shaw tried a lob from 20 yards but it was easy for Jessup to catch and the final whistle blew.

Tamworth Team:
Jeynes, Shaw, Gough, Maphosa, Kettle (James 40, Mpofu 88)), Jemson, Concannon, Verma, Smith, Taylor, Clement (Hayden 59)
Subs (4 only): Pegg

Needham Market Team:
Jessup, Dye, Sturgess, Squire, Morphew, Baker, Marsden, Heath (c.), Ingram, Dobson, Kamanzi (Griffiths 87) Subs: McLaughlin, Abrahams, Orse, Shorten
YC: Squire 50, 66 RC: Squire 66

Attendance: 481

Referee: Mr. W. Barratt

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures