Search results to follow...

Lambs bow out of Trophy

FT: Marske United 2    0 Tamworth

10 November 2018

On the back of the goalless draw at St Neots in midweek ,Dennis Greene made no changes tot the starting eleven to face Northern Premier League Division One East (one-league-lower) Marske United, 170 miles from The Lamb, at the club’s Mount Pleasant ground.

Tamworth got the game underway, but tie the home side burst out of the blocks and stunned the travelling Lambs.
The home side who were unbeaten in 12 and unbeaten at home all season, picked up the ball on the left and with just over 20 seconds on the referee’s watch Curtis Round marked his 100th game by lifting his shot from the left wing over the unsuspecting Jas Singh into the far corner. (0-1, 1 min)
Owens then struck a low shot at the keeper as the home side spelled an upset as early as the second minute.
Tamworth struggled to get the ball forward in the first half and on 12 a flowing move between Round, Butterworth and Martin resulted in Owens firing the ball home from 6 yards out but the offside flag denied him making the scoreline 2-0 to the Seasiders.
Lait, on the left, whipped the ball into for Smith but he couldn’t control it and it rolled past the far post while at the other end O’Sullivan tried an overhead shot at Singh which the keeper was happy to deal with.
Round then forced a corner but Tamworth pushed up the other end and Gough was perfectly placed on 35 to power a header at goal however he found Dean in no mood to be beaten.
Then, with half time looming it The Lambs were handed a lifeline when Waite was brought down with the ball at his feet and Lait stepped up to take the spot kick.
However he couldn’t add another goal to his season’s tally and although Dean dived the right way he didn’t need to do anything as the ball skimmed the outside of the left hand post and the home side went in a goal to the good at the half time whistle.

HT: Marske United 1    0 Tamworth

Greene made two changes before the second half got underway with Johnson and Clement immediately making an impact on proceedings.
Tamworth looked like a side with the bit between their teeth but continually found the home defence strong and Dean in fine form. Lait stole into the box on 51 but Dean saved with his feet and on 54 Smith headed wide under pressure.
Clement’s shot on 54 went diagonally past the far post from the left of the box and on 71 Lait went through again but drove his shot at the keeper who pushed it out for the first in a flurry of corners.
A rare foray up the other end of the field by the home side on 77 saw Marske force a corner which Owens headed at Singh and as the minutes ticked away Tamowrth pushed higher and higher up the field.
This was ultimately their undoing as on 86 a very quick break saw Round take the ball down the left wing and he dragged it back into the box for substitute Fairley to guide under Singh and seal the win, the £4,000 prize money and his teams place in the next round of the competition. (0-2, 86 mins)

Tamworth Team:

Singh, Green K, Gough, Beswick (c.) (Dunkley 70), Kettle, Jemson (Clement HT), Magunda, Verma, Smith, Lait, Waite (Johnson HT)
Subs: Green P, Jeynes

YC: Gough 23, Magunda 39, Smith 43

Marske United Team:

Dean, May, Rowbottham, Butterworth, Waters (Liddle 74), Wheatley (c.), Martin, Gott, Round, Owens (Fairley 82), O’Sullivan
Subs: Owen, Hillerby, Watson

YC: Butterworth 81

Attendance: 290

Referee: Mr S. Sugden

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures