Search results to follow...

Late late show bags a vital point

FT: Tamworth 2    2 AFC Telford United

17 February 2018

After the midweek defeat to The Spartans, The Lambs welcomed The Bucks to the EST Electrical Services Stadium and Mike Fowler made three changes to the starting eleven. Andy Burns served a one game suspension, Tom Shaw and Callum Powell took a spot on the bench with Kyron Stabana making his home debut while Bradley Reid came in after impressing in midweek. For the visitorsformer Lamb Ellis Deeney featured for Rob Edwards side who were positioned one place above the bottom with just three wins in the last 14 games, one of which was against Tamworth at the New Bucks Head in November and the other two were against bottom club North Ferriby.

Tamworth got the game underway attacking the Castle End in the first half and a foul on Knights in the second minute set up the midfielder with a deadball from 20 yards in the left channel. His strike bounced in the area and went out past the far post.
Marsden struck from the edge of the area on 4, straight at Stevens.
Reid got himself into a good position on 8 but was unable to get a shot away before the ball was nipped away from his toes.
Both sides struggled to take any control as the minutes ticked away and in the 22nd minute a freekick from Deeney struck the wall and was easily cleared.
Kettle got his head onto the end of a long throw from the left wing on 24 and the ball ended up in the net but it was ruled out for a foul in the build up.
Stevens was able to smother the loose ball at the feet of Marsden on 28 but took a knock and needed lengthy treatment.
Thomas struck low and wide of the mark on 32 after good play from Knights on the left wing, and McAtee curled a shot from 20 yards into the awaiting arms of Stevens, by now wearing a cap to stop the glare from the low sun, on 33.
A tug on Asante's shirt gave Knights a deadball to play with on the left on 34 but his teammates strayed offside from the kick so Wilson restrated play with a goalkick. Asante broke over the halfway line on 39 and beat the keeper, rushing out of his area into the Lambs left wing, then the defender as the keeper scampered back but his shot in struck the left hand post and resulting cross was just too long for Reid and Taylor.
Three minutes added time was shown at the end of the first half as Reid ran through but scuffed his shot from the edge of the area under pressure from the United defence.
Taylor tried a shot from 18 yards when the ball popped out of a tackle between Asante and defender Wilson but it rose as it travelled and didn't trouble Ben Wilson in the goal.

HT: Tamworth 0    0 AFC Telford United

Telford restarted proceedings and forced a corner on the right which Sutton headed down and wide of the far post on 47 and a mix up in the middle allowed White to advance at Stevens but the Lambs keeper blocked it out for a corner.
Fowler made a doubole change on 54 with Reid and Thomas going off Shaw and Gray coming on and within a minute Gray appeared to be pulled down in the box but no penalty was given.
Telford turned the screw a little around the hour mark and made a change to bring in some fresh legs and on 68 they took the lead when Morgan-Smith got onto a corner with a tame header into the ground and it bounced up and between Sharpe and the post despite his best efforts and obvious frustration (0-1, 68 mins)
The Lambs were back level on 73 though when Shaw's low drive failed to beat the keeper but he could only block it and so Asante pounced from 6 yards to thump it home (1-1, 73 mins)
Two minutes later and as Tamworth tried to clear a Telford attack the ball popped up to head height and with Sutton bearing down on Kettle he put his clearance past Stevens into the top corner for an own goal against The Lambs and restored Telford's lead. (1-2, 75 mins)
Shaw denied a shot from Morgan-Smith in the next move as the United striker ran through while at the other end Knights tried a snap shot after a set up from Verma but it curled low and wide of the left hand post on 88.
Four minutes added time was shown at the end of the game and in almost the last action of the match as Tamworth pushed hard in the box and Verma slid in to divert the ball inside the far post and snatch a late but vital a point (2-2, 90+4 mins)

Tamworth Team:

Stevens, Stabana, Sharpe, Thomas (Shaw 54), Jones, Kettle, Taylor (Powell 71), Verma, Asante, Reid (Gray 54), Knights
Subs: Coulson, Kotwica 

AFC Telford United Team:

Wilson, White, Wilson, Johnson, Sutton, Deeney, Marsden, Cowans, Morgan-Smith (Murphy 80), McAtee (Newby 62), Dinanga (Dwyer 70)
Subs: Leak, Singh


Attendance: 736

Man of the Match: Rotary Biddulph chose Rhys Sharpe

Referee: Mr. S. Simpson

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


23/01/2021 15:00:00 AFC Rushden and Diamonds H
30/01/2021 15:00:00 Biggleswade Town A
06/02/2021 15:00:00 Needham Market H
13/02/2021 15:00:00 Stratford Town A
20/02/2021 15:00:00 Lowestoft Town H
27/02/2021 15:00:00 Banbury United A
02/03/2021 19:45:00 Barwell A
06/03/2021 15:00:00 Peterborough Sports H
13/03/2021 15:00:00 St Ives Town A
20/03/2021 15:00:00 Redditch United H
View all Fixtures