Search results to follow...

Academy secure First league victory

Thursday Oct 13, 2011

Scott James' Gives Tamworth Academy the Win

Tamworth Academy 1-0 Kidderminster Harriers

Read Danny Wrights & Conor Byrnes match report

Scott James' Gives Tamworth Academy the Win

Tamworth Academy 1-0 Kidderminster Harriers


Tamworth Academy defend well to earn a much-deserved victory in a fiery encounter, which saw Kidderminster miss a penalty which could have cancelled out Scott James' first-half tap in.


The opening few minutes saw the away team start strongest, keeping the ball mainly in the Tamworth half. Kidderminster's Stefan Popovic saw his volley from outside the area go straight into the arms of Tamworth goalkeeper, Sam Andrews.


Tamworth began to be more comfortable on the ball and saw Jake Kirchoff-Sleet's inviting cross headed into touch by the Kidderminster defense. After 15 minutes Tamworth's right back, James Wilcock, hobbled off injured to be replaced by Kieran Clayton.


Some good defending by Ansu Lissa kept the score at 0-0 with an important interception after a lapse of concentration from Conor Wright to allow Harriers' striker Richate Derby through on goal.


Kidderminster remained in control, with Tamworth keeping a sturdy defense to snuff out each wave of attack, blocking crosses and being quickest to the ball. Only to find that each time possession was retained they couldn't keep the ball when trying to spring the counter attack down the left hand side through the pace of Jake Kirchoff-Sleet. Finally Tamworth had their first real chance of the game after 30 minutes when Jake Healey played a brilliant ball through to Luke Shearer who had his shot blocked by Harriers' Jack Bryan which almost found its way into the back of the net, but for the safe hands of Joshua Goddard.


This sprung life into the Lambs and a lofted through ball from Ansu Lissa couldn't be converted by Scott James in an awkward one-on-one. This was followed by an ugly challenge from Lambs' centre back Hoshane Gabbidon who saw a yellow card for mistiming the tackle on Jack Rogers.


Tamworth's pressure then found a way through the Harriers' defense after 40 minutes. Luke Shearer's run from the middle of the pitch gave him momentum to carry the ball through the heart of the resistance who found Scott James on the edge of the 6 yard box to tap the ball into an open net.


The Tamworth lads then finished the half the better team. Ansu Lissa and Liam Degville remained solid in the midfield, with Luke Shearer's pace on the ball and vision to find Scott James making the score 1-0 at half time.


The second half started dramatically with some great individual play from captain, Lissa who created a chance for Scott James but he couldn't release it to Liam Degville who was screaming for it on the edge of the ball. Tamworth kept up the pressure with Jack Bryan getting a yellow card for the Harriers' who broke from the resulting free kick only for a brilliant piece of defending from substitute Kieran Clayton. Kidderminster kept up the pressure and on the 51st minute Ollie Long looked to have slotted the ball into the corner of the net, only for Sam Andrews to produce a great save to keep Tamworth ahead.


The foul count was rising with the away side being the main culprits. Tamworth couldn't create from the number of free kicks they had, however Luke Shearer made another run at the Kidderminster backline, only to have his shot deflected for a corner.


On the 70th minute mark Kidderminster won a penalty after a foul from goalkeeper Sam Andrews, despite the ball seeming to be in his hands when he made contact with Harriers' striker Richate Derby. Kidderminster's Declan Kirby stepped up to take the spot kick, but smashed the ball against the crossbar, which was then cleared by the Lamb's defense. Academy manager Dale Belford appeared to be less than pleased with the controversial penalty decision and was sent to the stands by referee Karl Jeffries.


Tamworth pressed on and played a good corner on the 73rd minute. Ansu Lissa brought the ball down and played it to Degville on the edge of the penalty area, whose thunderous shot was unfortunately aimed directly at the Harriers' keeper.


Kidderminster began to make there mark on the 79th minute, after some good work from the Richate Derby to wrong foot the defenders allowing substitute, Wisdom Machangam to shoot at goal only to have his shot pushed wide by Sam Andrews.


The closing five minutes saw both teams unable to keep the ball. Kidderminster couldn't break through a solid Tamworth defense, which had proven sturdy throughout the match. The final whistle blew and Tamworth had a well deserved victory. The lads proved that quality of possession is more important than the quantity as they defended superbly throughout the game and created more threatening chances than the away side

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures